Friday, December 14, 2007

She writes fives languages in reverse order



Coimbatore, December 15 : A student of class 12 has developed a special ability to write in five languages - English, Hindi, Tamil, Malayalam and French, in reverse.

"I used to write with my left hand in childhood but, my mother asked me to write with the right hand. So, I started writing with that hand and quit writing with the left. It was on my friends' suggestion that I started writing again with my left hand. Later, they asked me to try writing in reverse. It was mirror writing. Soon, I developed speed and started writing in the other languages also," said Ancy Abraham.

While Ancy aspires to learn more languages, she says she intends to write two different languages with both hands simultaneously. She is eager to learn Kannada, Telugu and some foreign languages.

Many believe that the ability to write a script in reverse with ease is either inherited or caused by the development of typical language -related signals in the brain.

But according to neuro-surgeon, Dr. M. Natarajan, this activity comes with practice.

"There's generally no conflicting ideas developed inside the brain. It is by means of habit that they write left to right, right to left," said Dr. Natarajan.

Nevertheless, for Ancy, the fun doesn't stop here. She's determined to excel and is keen on setting a world record in mirror writing.

Mirror writing is formed by writing in the direction that is the reverse of the natural way for a given language, such that the result is the mirror image of normal writing. It appears normal when it is reflected in a mirror. (ANI)

No comments: